Getting old SUCKS! (warning: colorful language)

But you already know that.

A couple of weeks ago I went out to a sports bar with my sister. She and I are hanging out on the "hip" side, and some dude is trying to talk to my sister. She seems a little interested, so we stay in the area (she's single, I'm not). By this time I've a had more than a couple. So I'm standing at the part of the bar where everyone comes up to ask the bartender for a drink. Most people don't give me a second glance. This is okay. I'm feeling a little wallflower-ish, kinda tired, more than a little bored. Then a young, very cute guy comes up and says, "hi, what's your name?" (he's obviously had a couple, too)and I say, "Laura" (that was my "bar name" back in the day). He told me his name then starts getting chatty. Then all of a sudden I ask, "So how old do you think I am?" and he gives me the up and down. I'm thinking to myself, "I still got it...". Then he says, "About 38 or so". Of course I said, "Mother fucker!" and he says, all defensive and everything, "I'm sorry! how old are you really?". Then I said: "38!" LOL! He got a kick out of it, and to tell you the truth, so did I. I've never really been sensitive about my age. That is not until lately. The gray in my hair is becoming more color resistant (thank God for Lo'real!), my memory isn't what it used to be and it takes me a little longer to get out of bed most every day. I get reminders all the time that I'm no spring chicken. I know, I know. 38 is pretty young. I'm not trying to come across as some whiny-ass ingrate who ought to be grateful she's not ______ (fill in the blank). I realize this. But, damn it! I spent my 38th birthday on the freakin' couch, sick as a dog with the a flu that took me 3 freakin' weeks to get over. I deserve a do over, don't ya think? I'm just sayin'! Back in my prime, a little cold couldn't keep me away from quarter beer night at the Crystal Chandelier, or $1 longnecks at Borrowed Money. That's all I'm sayin'...where did the time go? And why did my by body abandon me????

But you know what they say, 'with age comes wisdom'. I'd like to think I am where I am today because this is true. Looking back, there isn't much I'd change. I definitely would've finished school. I'm right where I should be, I think. I hope. Oh, well. I'm fairly content. So although getting old sucks, I'm trying to live life to the fullest.

Anyway, I leave for Scrap Etc in Nashville this week. I'm so excited! The thing I'm looking forward to the most is reconnecting with friends. I always come back from these events so inspired by them. So have a great week and I'll try to share pics next time we chat. Maybe I'll spot Elvis!

Peace out and smooches to you all!

Comments

Liz said…
Look numbnuts, get over the "getting old" bit. Try being 36, single, never married, no kids (thank the good Lord) & no current boyfriend! Now if that's not depressing, I don't know what is!

And if I remember correctly, those guys had to take your monkey ass outside since you passed out at the bar. Guess who!!!
Anonymous said…
LOL! I saw your comments on someone elses blog and clicked on...this was such a laugh and EXACTLY the same thing that happened to me once when I was out and trying to front...thanks for the big laugh! Gina

Popular Posts